| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Work with all your cloud files (Drive, Dropbox, and Slack and Gmail attachments) and documents (Google Docs, Sheets, and Notion) in one place. Try Dokkio (from the makers of PBworks) for free. Now available on the web, Mac, Windows, and as a Chrome extension!

View
 

Friday, September 28, 2012 Meeting Note

Page history last edited by zeigenl@... 8 years, 11 months ago

Alliance Research Interest Group
Meeting Notes – September 28, 2012
Corvallis, OR

 

The September 28, 2012 Alliance Research Interest Group (A-RIG, http://www.orbiscascade.org/index/research-interest-group) meeting was held in person in the Autzen classroom at Oregon State University’s Valley Library in Corvallis, Oregon and online via GoTo Meeting from 10 a.m.-12 noon.

 

A-RIG meetings are specifically synchronized for the morning of ACRL-OR meeting days to allow for greater participation from interested parties and to facilitate coordination between groups. Many thanks to OLA for providing online meeting support and to Anne-Marie Deitering and her colleagues at OSU Valley Library for providing the in-person space.

 

AGENDA

 

1. Introductions

 

2. OLA/WLA pre-conference proposal (Robin Paynter)

Robin suggested a 3-hour pre-conference session on developing well-designed, successful surveys (including avoiding survey fatigue in one’s audience). Isaac Gilman (Pacific University) suggested a Pacific University colleague who might be a good pick for teaching this. Robin and Laura would like to offer him the $358 we have in the ACRL-OR bank (from the previous workshop) as a speaking fee.

 

Actions:

• Robin and Laura will submit this idea for the OLA/WLA conference. This idea was proposed and accepted by the OLA/WLA planning committee as a pre-conference session.

 

3. Liaison between A-RIG and ACRL-OR – Call for volunteers (Robin Paynter and Laura Zeigen)

Laura put out a call to the membership. There was a suggestion to write-up duties and consider quarterly GoTo meetings, 2 of which could coincide on the dates of the ACRL-OR meeting dates. One of the in-person meetings should be at a non-Portland location, except it limits the number of people who will come. If our meeting focus is in GoTo meeting maybe it does not matter as much where we are physically meeting.

 

Actions:

• Steve Silver (NWCU, Eugene) volunteered to serve in this position.

• Laura will draft a list of duties.

• Laura will investigate possible dates for 2013 GoTo Meeting sessions.

 

4. Project updates

a. Uta Hussong-Christian and Jane Nichols of OSU recently taught a class online on usability.

 

b. Kristi DeShazo and Laura Zeigen of OHSU are doing a study on how their students use electronic books. This is being done in conjunction with USC and other health sciences libraries.

 

c. Laurie Bridges and Margaret Mellinger of OSU did a study on how faculty is using e-books.

 

d. Jane Nichols and Laurie and Eviva Segal of OSU and Uta are doing a study on OSU faculty on e-readers. They are learning that they are mostly being used for pleasure reading. They are still finishing up transcripts and data analysis and Uta and Jane have done a couple of talks on this which are in the archive.

 

e. Emily Ford (PSU) and Laura Zeigen surveyed the public health students and faculty at their respective institutions to assist in the process of developing a subject guide specifically for these students and faculty.

 

f. Ginny Blackson (Central Washington University) is finishing up a study with teachers back in Alaska. They plan to publish about their work around December 2013. They are looking to see if alternative texts help boost student achievement. This has been a 5-year study that has incorporated fiction and non-fiction in social studies units that looked at student work and course completion rates. They found increases in students who finished their projects and increased engagement in the students.

 

g. Steve Silver is working on research from his sabbatical last summer on their rare bible collection. He has an article in review with a publisher now. He will email the group when it comes out.

 

h. Steve had an idea for a research project for the group – looking for how mobile devices are used on campuses. They have been studies on how many people use smartphones and what libraries should do. What about smaller campuses and larger campuses about how people use mobile devices? How does your particular context change use of technology?

 

5. Research resources/continuing education of interest (All)
The group wondered if any institutions were doing research based on the joint ILS project for the Orbis Cascade Alliance? We were not aware of anyone specifically doing this, but we imagined that the Alliance might be pursuing this. We thought it might be interesting to look at the differences between the roll-out cohorts in terms of “best practices” and issues around the ILS transitions for the patrons and the staff, the backend and significantly changed workflows.

 

Instructions for GoTo Meeting Connection for this event

DATE Friday, September 21, 2012

TIME 10 a.m.-12 noon

WHERE Online and Autzen classroom at OSU Valley Library.

 

Instructions on how to participate are below:

1. Please join my meeting. https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/593822406

2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.

Dial +1 (636) 277-0137 Access Code: 593-822-406 Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting Meeting ID: 593-822-406

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.